May 31, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Remember this post I wrote awhile back about how I compost right in my garden? Well I have to say I think my garden is growing better than ever. Last year I had a lot of seeds that never sprouted and my pepper only produced one pepper the entire season. This year everything is looking healthy, growing quickly, and I already have three pepper starts on my plant.

{This was a little over a week ago and everything is even bigger now}
I would call that a success. Or more like a success with one slightly rather annoying, but somewhat amusing, exception.


See those short little, dark green plants between the two larger bean plants? Any idea what it is? I didn't have a clue either, but plants just like this were sprouting up in tight little clusters by the tens. In all honestly, I have probably pulled hundreds of these out by now. In an attempt to figure out what it was I let one grow a little more instead of pulling it out and it was all too obvious after it got bigger... they are squash plants.

Yay, right? I'm growing squash... umm, no. I didn't plant squash. But what I did do was bury HUNDREDS of squash seeds from all of the food I made Audrey over the winter. Check this post out. Yes, I know those are carrots, but I basically did the same thing with squash and threw all of the seeds from all of those squash into my garden. OOPS!!

Basically what I am saying here is that the compost is making my garden rock, you really should try it, but be careful what you compost because it may just come back to haunt you!

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty funny. Are you going to let that one squash keep growing?

    ReplyDelete