February 14, 2011

Braised Short Rib Pasta


This has got to be one of my all time favorite dinners. I make it any chance I get and it is my go to dish when I am bringing dinner to a friend. Just looking at the pictures makes me want to have it for dinner again tonight. Although it takes some time to cook, the actual prep time is pretty short. If I remember right the original recipe was from Giada De Laurentiis, but I have made a few changes. Here is my version. 

Braised Short Rib Pasta
2 lbs beef short ribs
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic, chopped
5 Roma tomatoes, cut into eighths
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup brewed coffee
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 pound penne or rigatoni pasta
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
chopped flat leaf parsley or basil to garnish


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

Season the ribs with salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottomed dutch oven heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the ribs and brown on all sides. Remove the ribs and set aside. 
Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. 
Add the tomatoes, wine, coffee, and mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. 
Return the ribs to the pan and add the beef broth. Cover the pan and place in the oven for 2.5 hours, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. 

Remove the meat from the cooking liquid. With a large spoon skim off any excess fat from the top of the cooking liquid. Using an immersion blender puree until smooth. Add the tomato paste stirring well. Season with salt and pepper. 

Remove the meat from the bones, shred into small pieces using two forks. Return the shredded meat to the sauce. Let simmer until thickened, 30-45 minutes. 
Cook the pasta according to package directions. Combine the sauce and pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and fresh herbs. Serve and enjoy! 

3 comments:

  1. One of my faves too...so glad you came up with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss having you cook for me. Your meals in college were delicious and they are looking more amazing every time you post one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a snowday today and just checked out your site..this looks so delicious it makes my mouth water just to look at the picture! I'm going to make this today! I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete